Japenese Soup Rice
This recipe includes a selection of tasty treasures from the Japanese kitchen: shoba (buckwheat noodles), wakame (dry seaweed strands), wasabi (green horseradish powder), santaka (red chillies) and mirin (sweet wine) or sake (dry wine). You should be able to obtain them from Chinese or Japanese shops.
Serves 4 as a starter
2oz (50g) short-grain rice
2oz (50g) shoba (buckwheat noodles)
2 tablespoons wakame seaweed, shredded
2 teaspoons wasabi (green horseradish powder)
1 teaspoon light soy sauce
4floz (120ml) mirin (sweet wine) or sake (dry wine)
1-2 santaka or cayenne red chillies, chopped
a few feathery fronds of fresh dill
1. Rinse the rice several times to remove the starch.
2. Bring 1 3/4 pints (1 litre) water to the boil in a 4 pint (2.25 litre) saucepan.
3. Add the rice and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occassionally to prevent sticking.
4. Add all the remaining ingredients, including salt to taste.
5. Serve garnished with the fresh dill.