Clear Chicken Soup with Shallots
I found this funny little recipe on the internet. I haven't tried it myself - yet - but I will, as it is healthy and sounds delicious. I do not have any Indonesian bay leaves, so I think I will use an English one from the garden. This dish is traditionally prepared in Bali, Indonesia, after a cockfight. The winner receives the loosing chicken as a reward. Pat feels very sorry for the chicken!
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- cup chicken spice paste
- 400g boneless chicken, skin removed and minced
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 salam leaf - Indonesian bay leaf
- 1 stalk lemon grass, bruised
- 1 teaspoon crushed black pepper salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons fried shallots
- Heat oil in heavy soup pot.
- Add spice paste and sauté until fragrant.
- Add minced chicken and continue to sauté until meat is evenly coloured.
- Add stock and all remaining ingredients and simmer for five minutes.