Indian Curry Cookery Class
Saturday Morning Indian Curry Cookery Group Demonstration Class
'LEARN TO COOK BETTER THAN YOUR LOCAL CURRY HOUSE - FOR THE PRICE OF A FRIDAY NIGHT TAKEAWAY'
Cochin, India 2007 - Dominique took this photograph of these beautiful, hand-carved wooden spice boxes in the Cochin Spice Market.
Your SATURDAY MORNING INDIAN CURRY COOKERY GROUP DEMONSTRATION CLASS will start at 10am. Welcome tea or coffee with chocolate biscuits (and Bombay Mix!). Pat will begin the course, talking about the Indian subcontinent and its varied cuisine.
Using your RECIPE SHEETS, Pat will show the essential fresh and dried herbs and spices, including chillies, needed to make your meal. Pat and Dominique will demonstrate the following preparations and dishes:
- GARAM MASALA - mixing, roasting and frying spices.
- TANDOORI / TIKKA CURRY PASTE - mixing and frying spices, needed to make a curry paste to marinade chicken chunks for chicken tikka.
- CHANNA CHAT SALAT - CHICKPEA CURRY SALAD - the perfect brunch dish. Made in under five minutes, proving that Indian food doesn't have to be time consuming.
- PODINA RAITHA - a cooling and tangy, mint flavoured yoghurt dip, indispendible with popadoms and bhajias.
- CHAPPATI - a classic Indian, unleavened, flat bread, made from brown Atta flour.
- MURGH MAKHANI - BUTTER CHICKEN - chicken tikka smothered in a spicy red, tomato, garlic, cream and butter sauce.
- MURGH JALFREZI - CHICKEN DRY-FRY - chicken stir-fry strips with caramelised sliced onion, finely chopped garlic and ginger, mixed peppers, homemade garam masala, coriander leaf and fresh green chilli.
- SAFFRON PULLAO RICE - cooked using the absorption method. Flavoured with aromatic spices, Iranian saffron and homemade butter ghee.
- LEMON RICE - cooked using the boiling method. Tempered with mustard, nigella and fenugreek seed, curry leaves and fresh lime juice.
- A complete set of RECIPE SHEETS.
- A TASTING PLATE of all dishes demonstrated.
- A glass of wine.
- An author-signed copy of QUICK AFTER WORK CURRIES by Pat Chapman.
- A small but comprehensive SHOP will be available, for you to purchase any of Pat's cookery books, (don't forget to ask him to dedicate them to you), essential cooking implements, (we stock good quality woks in sizes 8", 10", 12" and 14"), and difficult to find ingredients.
- We take CREDIT and DEBIT CARDS.
PRICES AND HOW TO BOOK YOUR PLACE
- £75.00 (one person).
- Call Pat Chapman on 01428 658327 to check date availability.
- To Pay by DEBIT or CREDIT CARD - please telephone us on 01428 658327
- To Pay by CHEQUE (payable to The Curry Club) - please post to THE CURRY CLUB, 50, WEST STREET, HASLEMERE, SURREY. GU27 2AP
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- LOCATION - Grayshott, nr Hindhead, Surrey.
- PARKING - Free.
- DAY - Selected Saturdays only. Please telephone Pat Chapman on 01428 658327 for availability.
- FREQUENCY - Quarterly.
- DURATION - 3 hours. 10.00am to 1.00pm.
- DIET - Unsuitable for a Dairy-Intolerant Diet.
9th September, 2012 - Joe Denbury-Trew emailed:
'Thank you for your time on Saturday at the cookery morning. I really enjoyed the food, your knowledge and little anecdotes. It was thoroughly a good 4 hours.'
28th June, 2012 - Chris Rolph, West Sussex emailed:
'I thoroughly enjoyed attending last Saturday morning (it was good of Barry to think of me when a space came up). I look forward to your 2012 Guide coming out.'
24th June, 2012 - Barry Headges emailed:
'Many thanks for yesterdays session, it was both enjoyable and informative, hopefully I will look to do a one to one in the near future.'
23rd June, 2012 - Frank McAtamney emailed:
'Thanks for the demontration, I enjoyed it.'
5th March, 2012 - Debbie Paraman emailed:
'... I would like to thank you both for an exceptional mornings tuition you gave us on 25th February. Tony said the day was so interesting and as he told you he rarely cooks. Since the date I have put into practice your tips and procedures on a couple of dishes and the results have been excellent (even though I say so myself). Curry day for us is now once or twice per week... '
5th February, 2012 - Tucker Thompson emailed:
'... I had a wonderful time at your last Saturday curry demonstration (Sat 28th Jan) and learnt a great deal. Thank you both for a great experience. It was a pleasure to meet you both... '
15th October, 2011 - Sean Kearon emailed:
' ... Thank you very much - Excellent... '
23rd July, 2011 - Robert-John Stratton, Kent emailed:
'... I would like to say a big thank you for your time, experience and advice today. Your curry class was fabulous and having been the owner of 'The Balti Bible' for 10 years it helped enormously to iron out some of the glitches I have been suffering. I look forward to trying out all the recipes that you showed us and more... '
28th June, 2011 - David Croft emailed:
'... This evening I managed to cook most of what you demonstrated on Saturday (Lamb Tikka, Chicken Jalfrezi and Pullao Rice). My wife was gobsmacked more by the state of the kitchen than the curries :o) It was really good fun and very educational. You did make it look so easy though. Thanks very much, I hope to be on another course soon... '
'Yes, keeping clean and tidy is difficult. Looking forward to seeing you again.'
27th June, 2011 - Ian Neale emailed:
'... I just wanted to say Thank You for the excellent demonstration day that Debbie and I spent with you both on 25th June. It was truly inspirational and certainly made it appear much easier (or should that just be less scary) to prepare good food from basic ingredients instead of relying on 'ready made pastes'... '
'... The many little hints and tips were carefully noted and I'm sure will be put to good use, although buying a separate freezer in which to store the more 'pungent' prepared ingredients (garlic and onion) might have to wait a little while... '
'... The demo day was a birthday present from our friends Andrew and Lisa Wilcox (Andrew is one of your many fans) so after a couple of trial runs, we will be cooking a meal for them and I'll let you know how it goes... '
10th May, 2011 - Mark Rowland emailed:
'... Just a quick mail to say thank you for the curry course I attended on Saturday 30th April. I came away having learnt lots and really enjoyed finding out your curry secrets and of course the eating at the end. Many thanks to you and your wife for your time. I have already had a go at cooking the butter chicken dish which for a first go thought pretty good, not a patch on yours of course but the wife was really impressed! My rice did not turn out as good as I hoped, tasted nice - just not very fluffy !! Might try your Thai course next time!.. '
'So glad you enjoyed it and above all found it useful. Did you let the rice stand for min 30 mins max 90? Just keep pracitising and things get better and seemingly easier.'
10th May, 2011 - Rob and Claire, Hampshire emailed:
'... We really enjoyed the demo this Saturday but we left behind the recipe and info sheet that we followed. Is it possible to email this please... '
30th May, 2011 - Derek Barnes, Fareham Facebooked:
'... I had a great time. The food was delicious. I'm not a stranger to attempting a curry but there was something missing and I have never been fully happy with it. Your demo showed up some stuff to me and your rice was best I've tasted. I think it will be Sunday Curry tomorrow, the Roast can go hang... '
'Thanks Derek, so glad that you enjoyed it. Dominique cooked a roast lamb with trimmings tonight - might have to join you with a curry for Sunday lunch!'
1st March, 2011: Sara Loynton wrote:
'... I had a great time on Saturday, many thanks. I went shopping with new enthusiasm yesterday and cooked your Chicken Tikka Masala, took me quite a bit longer than you, but house smelt lovely and I had fun, best of all everyone loved it especially the children - so won't need to worry about a kids curry now. Great to meet you both and feel your enthusiasm, will recommend your course to others and may well be back to try something else... '
1st May, 2010: Darren Gregory, Hampshire wrote:
'... I just wanted to email you to say what a great time Ellie and I had on Saturday (01/05/2010). I really enjoyed the demonstrations and tips and I am sure they will come in handy. I will be investing in some of the spices used in the presentation and hopefully I can recreate what you did. I also bought your book 'The New Curry Bible' so will have to attempt some of the recipes in there. I thought your enthusiasm and passion for curry really showed through. I will definitely be telling my friends!.. '
2nd February, 2010: Hayley and Richie wrote:
'... Just a quick email to thank you both for Saturday we had a great time and our woks are getting their colour! I think we left our recipe sheets would it be possible to get another from you please?.. '
1st February, 2010: Hilary wrote:
'... Having attended your Curry Course the other weekend. The Jalfrezi first attempt at home was great!.. '
24th January, 2010: Richard Tugwell, Upminster, Essex wrote:
'... Thank you so much for a very enjoyable and informative morning yesterday. Debbie and I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be practising the methods that you demonstrated as soon as possible. We will let you know how we get on. I hope to book one of the other courses later this year and look forward to seeing you then... '
8th April, 2009: Paul Flint emailed:
'... I thoroughly enjoyed the cookery course a week ago last Saturday and even more enjoyed putting the recipes into practise last weekend...'
3rd April, 2002: Graham Ryder, Hampshire wrote:
'... Thank you so much for the wonderful course that you presented... I found the style and ease with which you cooked the food most entertaining and you certainly persuaded me to start cooking curries your way, ie: not the Homepride way; the three hours just whizzed by. A big thank you to my ex-wife for such a superb present, perhaps she is not so bad after all... '