Indian Curry Cookery Course
For a 'Hands On' 3 Hour Experience
'LEARN INDIAN CURRY COOKING - PERSONAL TUITION FOR THE PASSIONATE COOK'
Jaipur, India 2010. Not quite as recognizable as our BT boxes. However, this is an Indian public phone box, seriously!
Your INDIAN CURRIES 3 HOUR HANDS ON COOKERY COURSE will start at 10am. Welcome tea or coffee with chocolate biscuits. Pat Chapman will begin the course, talking about the Indian sub-continent and its varied cuisine.
Using your RECIPE SHEETS, Pat will show the essential fresh and dried herbs and spices, including chillies, needed to make your meal. Pat and Dominique will cook with you the following preparations and dishes. Your meal will serve at least 6 people.
MENU ONE - RESTAURANT FAVOURITES
- GARAM MASALA - roast and grind the whole spices needed to make this mix.
- TANDOORI CURRY PASTE - mix and fry ground spices to make the paste needed to marinade the chicken tikka.
- CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA - MURGH MAKHANI - BUTTER CHICKEN - cooked chicken tikka smoothered in a spicy red, tomato, onion, garlic, yoghurt, cream and butter sauce.
- CHICKEN JALFREZI - CHICKEN DRY-FRY - chicken stir-fried with panch phoran (Indian five spice), onion, garlic, ginger, peppers, homemade garam masala and coriander leaf.
- TARKA DAL - simmered red massor lentils flavoured with onion, garlic, ground turmeric, dried fenugreek leaves, home-made garam masala and butter ghee.
- OONBARIO - lightly spiced, root vegetables (potato, parnsip, carrot, swede, beetroot and sweet potato), lightly spiced with curry leaves, asafoetida, ground turmeric and seeds. Then oven baked until crisp.
- SAFFRON PULLAO RICE - basmati rice, cooked by the absorption method with aromatic spices, (brown cardamoms, cassia bark, bay leaves, cloves and mace), Iranian saffron and home-made butter ghee.
- SOUTH INDIAN LEMON RICE - basmati rice, cooked using the boiling method, flavoured with fresh curry leaves, mustard seed and ground turmeric.
MENU TWO - RESTAURANT FAVOURITES
- GARAM MASALA - mix, roast and grind the whole spices needed to make this mix.
- MALAI TIKKA - marinade chicken pieces needed to make chicken korma.
- CHICKEN KORMA - marinated chicken chunks, smoothered in a sweet and creamy sauce made with ground almonds, fresh cream and creamed coconut.
- CHICKEN MADRAS - chicken chunks in a smooth, dark and rich sauce made with fresh and dried red chillies.
- BOMBAY ALOO - turmeric coloured potato chunks, combined in a lightly spiced sauce of red and green peppers, garlic and fresh coriander leaves.
- SAG ALOO - SPINACH AND POTATO - a fresh combination of garlic, spices, baby spinach leaves, potato cubes, fresh coriander leaves and finely chopped green chillies.
- VEGETABLE BIRIANI - the quickest biriani that you will ever make. Basmati rice, cooked by the boiling method, mixed with a lightly spiced vegetable curry.
- A complete set of RECIPE SHEETS.
- Takeaway all dishes that you have cooked.
- An author-signed copy of QUICK AFTER WORK CURRIES by Pat Chapman.
- An editor-signed copy of the COBRA GOOD CURRY GUIDE edited by Pat Chapman.
- Please bring plastic food containers with you, so you can take home everything that you have cooked.
- No chopping up or washing up will be done by you, as Dominique will be there to do this, thus allowing you, with Pat to get down to the all important cooking.
- A small but comprehensive SHOP will be available, for you to purchase any of Pat's cookery books, (don't forget to ask him to dedicate them to you), essential cooking implements, (we stock good quality woks in sizes 8", 10", 12", 14" and if you purchase one - Dominique can season it for you - just ask), and difficult to find ingredients.
- We accept CREDIT and DEBIT CARDS.
PRICES AND HOW TO BOOK YOUR COURSE
- £375.00 (two people). You may wish to bring a third person. Space is limited, however, a third person will be £75.00 extra.
- Call Pat Chapman on 01428 658327 to check date availability.
- To Pay by DEBIT or CREDIT CARD - please telephone us on 01428 658327
- To Pay by CHEQUE (payable to The Curry Club) - please post to THE CURRY CLUB, 50, WEST STREET, HASLEMERE, SURREY. GU27 2AP
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- LOCATION - The Curry Club, Haslemere, Surrey.
- PARKING - Free parking onsite.
- DAY - Any day, including Saturday and Sunday.
- DURATION - 5 hours. 10.00am to 3.00pm.
- DIET - A vegetarian option for this course is available on application.
POSTED 20/01/13 - We have a customer, Margaret, how would love to book this course but she would like to share with any other curryholic! Would you like to join her and share the cost? If you would, please call PAT CHAPMAN on 01428 658327.
10th July, 2012 - Timo and Ian cooked with Pat:
'Hi Pat and Dominique, I just wanted to say a huge thank-you for yesterday's lesson. Both Ian and myself walked away on a real buzz and filled with enthusiasm to try out our newly gained skills. Needless to say, the "take away" was superb, my wife, Louise, said it was the best she'd tasted which is an achievement!'
29th March, 2012 - Karen and Mike McGuigan cook with Pat:
'Thank you. what a wonderful time we had doing the course... please to tell you that we have successfully cooked all the dishes we did on the course... we have cooked for five different sets of family and friends and all have been suitably impressed...'
27th March, 2012 - Jill Peters cooked Murgh Makhani with Pat:
'... thank you for a most enjoyable cookery course at Haslemere last Tuesday. Jill and I enjoyed it very much indeed. Our family were eager to see how we progressed and you can imagine the telephone conversations later that evening. The meals we took home with us have now been consumed, they were delicious, we are now thinking of having a go ourselves.'
10th November, 2011 - Gill and Ken Walby emailed:
Many thanks for our brilliant morning yesterday. Both Ken and I really enjoyed ourselves and are keen to have a go at making curry from scratch the way you have shaown us. We have to agree that, 'the real thing', definitely tastes so much better. My half jar of Pataks has gone in the bin!!!!
3rd May, 2011 - Dave and Anna Simpson, Henley emailed:
'...Just a quick to note to say a huge thank you for today’s cookery course, both Anna and myself had a really enjoyable and educational experience. We’ve given in and invited some family round to help us to polish off the delicious food that we are now proud owners of (although the chicken tikka masala has been slightly diminished in quantity by a few quick “tasters”. Today has definitely given me a renewed enthusiasm to master the ability to cook the perfect curry. It was a real privilege to have spent the day with you both, thank you so much for entertaining and enlightening us with your passion for our favourite food...'
Pat Replied: So glad you enjoyed it. So did we. You were great fun.
28th Febraury, 2011 - Julie Healey emailed:
'...Just wanted to say once again thank you both very much for the most enjoyable curry cooking experience last week. We shared our meal with friends yesterday and all had a great time. We would have no hesitation in recommending you to anyone who would like to learn how to cook authentic curry...' Photos Below: Pat and Julie make Shahi Lamb Korma.
2th January, 2010 - Gail Cooper, France emailed:
'...I would just like to thank you for your curry wisdom during the course, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The food, once I eventually got to try it, was delicious. My eldest son polished off most of the Chicken Tikka Masala, which he loved...'
21st September, 2010 - Steve and Mandy emailed:
'...Many thanks for yesterday, we had a great time and we're looking forward to cooking up some amazing curries!..'
22nd March, 2010 - Mel and Gem emailed:
'...We made it home safe and sound, 5 hour journey with our lovely curry dishes-the train started to smell a bit after a while-whoops! Thank you for making us both feel so welcome on the course, we had a lovely time and thoroughly enjoyed it, we will definiely put what we learnt to practice. Looking forward to enjoying the dishes we cooked on the course. Thanks again...'
March, 2008 - Pat and Mike Birch, Hampshire wrote:
'...Just wanted to say how much Mike and I enjoyed the course yesterday. It was such a great way to celebrate his birthday. Our friends were very impressed with the proceeds of our labours, so I think we shall be catering to curry parties for some time to come! Many Thanks...'
January, 2008 - Arthur Lee wrote:
'...I now live in Spain. You began my journey into real curries and because of that I am constantly in demand to cook for friends! Thank You...'