A European dessert with flavors from the East, the Spiced Banana Tarte Tatin provides a sensual treat that excites the taste buds. This is a good treat for Valentine’s Day and it is not too difficult to make.
The kinds of bananas normally used for these must be small Indian bananas that have some level of acidity and sharpness to rile up your appetite. However, any banana would do nicely. This tart is better known for its aromatic spices and pink peppercorns. This would come in four servings and requires four bananas.
- For the caramel, put granulated sugar and water into a small pan and heat gently until the sugar melts. Increase the heat until dark golden caramel forms. Add butter and let it simmer for eight minutes.
- Remove the pan and pour the mixture into a 20cm cake tin to be coated. Let it cool.
- Peel and slice the bananas and place them in a circular formation.
- Sprinkle ½ tsp of coarsely crushed pink peppercorns.
- Roll out the puff pastry to 3mm thick, covering the bananas with them.
- Bake this for 15 minutes until the puffs turn golden.
- Iced Double Cream
Mix sugar and milk power on a saucepan.
- Boil the mixture and add cream.
- Pour it into a blender.
- Strain this into an ice cream maker until it is frozen enough to be folded into black cardamom pods.
The cream will be served with the tarts or any other additional treat for more flavor.