A fiery delicacy like you never saw, Firecracker Chicken Wings can be quite easy to make. They only need to be fried to be served at the table. It can work with the whole wing or just the drumsticks. You only need four to six servings at a time.
- Chicken wings with skin on them that weigh at 900 grams
- Vegetable oil to deep fry the wings
- 1½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp Garlic paste
- 1½ tsp red chili powder
- 4 tbsp malt vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 green chili that’s finely chopped
- ½ tsp black peppercorns that are coarsely crushed
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped coriander, plus extra for garnishing
- tsp of Sichuan pepper (optional)
The mixture must be rubbed into the chicken wings. Afterwards, the marinated wings must be placed in the refrigerator to marinate overnight.
While this is taking place, make the dipping sauce.
- Heat the oil in the pan to get started and add ½ star anise and stir for about thirty seconds.
- Add one finely chopped banana shallot and let it sweat over in high heat for two to three minutes while stirring.
- Add diced pineapple bits weighing 50 grams into the mixture and cook for two minutes until the pineapple is caramelized and slowly softens.
- Reduce the amount of heat and add 5mm finely chopped fresh ginger, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp sugar, 5 tbsp of tomato ketchup, and 120ml of water to boil.
- After a minute or two, the sauce will have turned glossy. When the seasoning is fine, remove the pan from the heat and add a half glass of lime juice. Let it cool.
Green Chili Mayo
- Blend 4 chopped green chillies and 20g finely chopped coriander must be.
- Whisk the egg yolk and mustard to make an emulsion that will be added to the chili-coriander mix.
- Season this with salt and lemon juice then set aside.
Once the chicken has been marinated, drain any excesses and mix the wings with rice and corn flour. Let the wings dredge in the flour until they are dry. The oil must be heated to 180ºC for the wings to be fried for seven minutes. When it is all done, serve the wings with the sauce and chili mayo.